OLS Blog

Swedish Cuisine - Part 1

Swedish Cuisine - Part 1

av Linnea OLS Community Manager -
Antall svar: 0

Swedish Cuisine - Part 1

Food

Source: Canva

As the total foodie I am, food says a lot about a country and is an essential part of its culture and history. Whenever I'm in a new place, I can't wait to eat something typical for that specific country. I could die for Italian pasta, Spanish tapas, Greek gyro, Chinese Chow mein, and much more, but what I appreciate about Sweden and the food you can eat here is the diversity of cuisine from so many different countries and cultures mixed with Sweden's kitchen. Let's discuss some of Sweden's more traditional dishes, which are a must-try when you're here.

Köttbullar och potatismos (meatballs and mashed potatoes)

Meatballs with mashed potatoes is one of Sweden's most beloved dishes; if you try it, you'll understand why. Meatballs and mashed potatoes consist of small meatballs made from mixed minced meat, onions, breadcrumbs and milk, served with mashed potatoes and brown sauce. The dish is very popular in Sweden and has become a symbol of Swedish home cooking. 

This dish has a long history here. Meatballs are a form of meatloaf that has existed in various variants since the Middle Ages. During the 18th century in Sweden, meatballs began to be shaped into small balls instead of an entire loaf. Since then, meatballs have become a popular dish in the country. Mashed potatoes, on the other hand, came to Sweden in the 18th century and quickly became an essential part of the Swedes' diet. The potato was then grown on a large scale and was a cheap and nutritious food well suited to feed a large population.

Meatballs and mashed potatoes became a common combination on Swedish dinner tables during the 19th century and have since been a popular and well-known dish in Swedish food culture. The dish is also famous internationally and can be found in many restaurants worldwide as a Swedish specialty.

Pannkakor (pancakes)

Unlike the thick American pancakes and French crepes, Swedish pancakes are thin and crispy and often eaten with whipped cream and sweet jam or bacon and lingonberry jam. Swedes can eat them as the main course or as dessert for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Pancakes usually consist of a batter made from flour, eggs, milk, and possibly baking powder.

Pancakes have a long history and have been eaten in different varieties in many parts of the world for hundreds of years. In Sweden, pancakes have been a popular dish since the Middle Ages, when rye flour was used to make thin pancakes served with lingonberry jam or butter. However, during the 19th century, wheat flour became increasingly common in Sweden. People then started using it instead of rye flour to make pancakes. It then became a more general dish that could be served as a main course and dessert.

Pancakes are also a typical dish in many other parts of the world. For example, in France, you eat crepes, thin pancakes often served with sugar, lemon or Nutella. In the US, pancakes are a standard breakfast or brunch dish, often served with maple syrup and butter.

Pancakes

Kalops (canopy)

A correctly done canopy is made from stewed chunks of beef that are slowly cooked with root vegetables, onions, spices, and broth. Canopy is often served as a side dish with boiled or mashed potatoes and cucumber or beetroot. It has a long history in Sweden and can be traced back to the 17th century when it was called "collops." Collops was a dish made from various cuts of meat, often veal or beef, cooked with onions and spices. The dish was typical among the aristocracy and was called "collops à la reine" or "à la royale."

During the 19th century, canopy became a popular dish among the working class in Sweden. Back then, cheaper meat, such as beef or pork, was usually used, and the dish was cooked for a long time on the stove to bring out the excellent taste and softness of the meat. Canopy was an inexpensive dish that was easy to prepare and could satisfy many people.

Today, the meal often includes root vegetables and onions, which gives the dish a tasty and mushy flavor. It's a popular home cooking that is still served in many restaurants around Sweden and is often prepared at home by Swedish families during holidays and special occasions.

Falukorv och stuvade makaroner (Falu sausage and stewed macaroni)

Falu sausage and stewed macaroni is a traditional Swedish dish consisting of sliced fried sausage and served with cooked macaroni in a sauce made of milk, butter, and wheat flour, usually seasoned with nutmeg. 

The history of Falu sausage and stewed macaroni goes back to the 19th century in Sweden. Falukorv is a product dating back to the 17th century made in Falun, a mine in Dalarna. The sausage was a cheap product used as soldiers' food during the war. Falukorv became popular among the public in the 19th century and then became a staple in Swedish cuisine. Stewed macaroni is considered to have originated as a cheap dish during the 19th century and was a popular dish among workers and the poor in Sweden. Macaroni was a cheap ingredient that could be prepared in many different ways. Stewing made the dish fuller and more filling.

Falukorv and stewed macaroni have since been a popular dish in Swedish cuisine and a symbol of the country's home cooking. Today, the dish is often served in schools and lunch restaurants around Sweden and is a favorite among both young and old.

Tacos

Ok, hear me out! I know tacos are not initially a Swedish dish. Still, it's one of the most popular dishes to cook at home in Sweden, especially on weekends. Tacos were introduced to Sweden in the 1960s by Swedish tourists who visited Mexico. Since then, the dish has become one of the Swedes' favorite dishes.

Swedish tacos differ from the original Mexican recipes in that they often contain other common ingredients in Swedish cuisine, such as lettuce, cheese, minced meat, and sour cream. However, tacos in Sweden can vary quite a lot depending on who prepares them and what you choose to fill them with.

Tacos have become a popular dish for everyday dinners and festive occasions in Sweden, and it's common to serve a taco buffet where guests can choose and mix their fillings. Recently, it has also become common to do vegetarian and vegan options for tacos, which reflects the increasing interest in vegetarian and vegan food in Sweden.

Is there a Swedish dish you want to know more about? Or do you want to tell me about one or several of your country’s national dishes? Please feel free to share:)

Linnea, OLS Community Manager – Swedish

Tacos

Tagger: