“Living Abroad” Forum

My Tips for Living Abroad✈️

My Tips for Living Abroad✈️

autor Linnea OLS Community Manager -
Počet odpovědí: 0

I've lived in several places and countries during my adult life. Some include Oslo in Norway, Manchester and London in the UK, and Marbella and Fuengirola in Spain. Therefore, I know how it is to live and work in a foreign country where they speak a different language than yours. 

Learning a new country and its system is incredibly evolving and exciting. Still, as you all know by now, it can also be frustrating and tiring. I want to share some of my tips on making the transition to live in another country easier on yourself and what to think about. 

Please add your tips to this list and share them with me and your fellow students. Here we go:)

• Prepare yourself with the information on opening a bank account in the new country and fix the documents needed beforehand. 
  • Check the date on your passport to see how long it's valid. 
  • Know how long you can legally stay and work in the country so you know your timeline.
  • Have your living situation set before you move.
  • Get a bank card that allows you to pay and switch currencies easily. 
  • Get help from someone local if the documents you need are in a language other than yours. 
  • Read about and get to know the country before the move, for example, if there are specific laws you should know about and the culture. 
  • Be aware that you're a tourist in a new country and, therefore, can be a target of mugging, scamming, and so on. 
  • Know what number to call in an emergency.
  • Always know you can get help in the country if needed, so feel free to ask people if something needs clarification

Linnea, OLS Community Manager – Swedish