OLS Blog

Bilingual, Multilingual, Polyglot

Bilingual, Multilingual, Polyglot

Minna OLS Community Manager -
Atsakymų skaičius: 0

Source: Adobe CC

What is a Polyglot?

A polyglot is someone who can speak multiple languages fluently. The term comes from the Greek words "poly" (many) and "glotta" (tongue). There is no one definition of fluency, but it is generally considered to be the ability to understand and use a language with ease and accuracy.

The number of languages that a polyglot speaks can vary greatly. Some polyglots may only speak a few languages, while others may speak dozens or even hundreds. The most well-known polyglot is probably John McWhorter, who is said to speak over 100 languages.

Are Polyglots Gifted?

There is a common misconception that polyglots are gifted with a natural ability to learn languages. However, this is not the case. Polyglots are simply people who have learned to learn languages effectively. There are many different methods and techniques that polyglots use to learn languages, and there is no one-size-fits-all approach.

What are the Benefits of Being a Polyglot?

There are many benefits to being a polyglot. For one, it can open up new opportunities for travel and work. Being able to speak multiple languages can also make it easier to connect with people from different cultures. Additionally, research has shown that bilingualism can have a number of cognitive benefits, such as improved memory and problem-solving skills.

How to Become a Polyglot?

If you are interested in becoming a polyglot, there are a few things you can do. First, you need to find a method of language learning that works for you. There are many different methods available, so experiment until you find one that you enjoy and that is effective. Second, you need to be patient and persistent. Learning a language takes time and effort, but it is definitely possible. Finally, don't be afraid to make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes when they are learning a new language. The important thing is to learn from your mistakes and keep practicing.

Becoming a polyglot, someone who speaks multiple languages fluently, is an exciting and rewarding journey that requires dedication, persistence, and effective strategies. Here's a concise guide on how to embark on this linguistic adventure.

Finland is a bilingual country

Nowadays, more than half of the people, 60-70% can speak at least two languages. Some countries even have many official languages. In Europe, the countries that have multiple official languages, are: Belgium with three official languages (Dutch, German, French), Luxembourg with three official languages (Luxembourg, French, German), Malta with two official languages (Maltese, English), Ireland with two official languages (Irish, English), Finland with two official languages (Finnish and Swedish) and Cyprus with two official languages (Turkish and Greek). In Spain there are five official languages: Castilian, Catalan, Galician, Basque and Aranese (which has only 2,800 native speakers).

Additionally, there's a growing expectation for people to know and use at least one of most spoken languages in thee world like English, Chinese, Hindi, Spanish, or Arabic. So, if you only speak one language, like many native English speakers do, you're actually in the minority, and you might be missing out on some things.

Change in personality and mannerism when changing language

What's interesting is that how we think is connected to the languages we know. Bilingual people, those who speak two languages, tend to have different ways of thinking for each language. It might sound strange, but it's something that researchers have confirmed through their studies. Many bilinguals say that they feel like a different person when they speak in their other language. 

I can tell you one funny example from my own life. I am a native Finnish speaker, but I speak fluent Norwegian as well. My sister, who does not speak Norwegian, says that when she hears me speak it, my intonation changes, my body language changes and I act totally different than when I speak English, for example. To me this sounded completely crazy when she first told me this, but after a while I realized that she was right! What an eye opener for myself as well!  Have you experienced something like this yourself? 

Bilingualism or multilingualism affects the brain positively 

Recent brain scans have shown that people who speak more than one language have bigger anterior cingulate cortex (ACC) regions in their brains compared to those who speak just one language. This happens because bilingual and multilingual individuals use their ACC more frequently.

Think of the ACC as a mental muscle: the more you use it, the stronger and more flexible it becomes. Bilinguals constantly exercise their executive control because their two languages compete for attention. Brain scans reveal that when a bilingual person speaks one language, their ACC keeps them from using words and grammar from their other language. Additionally, their brain continually decides when and how to use the language they need. Bilinguals usually don't mix up their languages, but sometimes they might use a word or phrase from their other language if the person they are talking to knows it.

While being bilingual doesn't stop people from getting dementia, it does delay its effects. In cases where two people have similar brain disease progression, the bilingual person typically shows symptoms about five years later than the monolingual person. This delay is because bilingualism rewires the brain and improves the executive system, which boosts a person's "cognitive reserve." This means that when parts of the brain get damaged, bilinguals can compensate better because they have extra brain matter and different neural pathways.

Bilingualism can also help protect the brain after an injury

In a recent study of 600 stroke survivors in India, it was found that bilinguals were twice as likely to experience cognitive recovery compared to monolinguals. This shows that knowing more than one language not only benefits cognitive health but also overall brain function.

Practice these steps to become a polyglot

If you aspire to become a polyglot, consider the following steps:

1. Define Your Motivation: Determine why you wish to embark on this linguistic journey, whether for travel, career prospects, or personal enrichment. Your motivation will fuel your commitment.

2. Select Languages: Choose the languages you want to learn based on your interests, career goals, or regions of interest. Begin with one or two at a time.

3. Master the Basics: Start by grasping pronunciation, grammar, and essential vocabulary. Utilize language learning apps, textbooks, or enroll in courses.

4. Immerse Yourself: Immerse yourself in the language. Watch movies, listen to music, and read books in your chosen languages. Strive to think in the language whenever possible.

5. Regular Practice: Consistency is crucial. Dedicate daily or weekly time for speaking, writing, and listening practice.

6. Find Conversation Partners: Engage with native speakers or language exchange partners for real-life interaction, which is invaluable.

7. Cultural Exposure: If feasible, visit countries where your target languages are spoken. Immersing yourself in the culture accelerates your learning.

8. Leverage Technology: Take advantage of language learning apps, online resources, and language exchange platforms for convenience and accessibility.

9. Patience and Perseverance: Recognize that language acquisition is a gradual process. Don't be discouraged by setbacks; continue your efforts.

10. Stay Motivated: Celebrate your progress, set milestones, and remind yourself of your initial motivation.

Remember, there's no fixed timeline for becoming a polyglot, and everyone's journey is unique. The key is to enjoy the process and embrace the rich cultural and cognitive benefits that come with multilingualism.

Minna, OLS Community Manager – Finnish

Source: Pixabay