OLS Blog

3 Contemporary Bulgarian Writers to Know About

OLS Community Manager Reneta -
Кількість відповідей: 0

Georgi Gospodinov, Teodora Dimova, Zahari Karabashliev

Source: Wikimedia

The Bulgarian language is rich in means of expression. It is characterized by a diverse vocabulary, grammatical flexibility, and dialectal differences. These are the consequences of centuries of development, interaction with other languages, and cultural influences.

In my previous blog post, I discussed the influence of literacy and literature on the Bulgarian “Renaissance” highlighting significant authors from the 18th and early 19th centuries.

In this blog post, I will present to you some of the Bulgarian modern authors that continue the mission of their predecessors to preserve the beauty of the Bulgarian Language.

Georgi Gospodinov (first on the photo above)

Georgi Gospodinov is the most translated and awarded outside of Bulgaria contemporary Bulgarian writer. Gospodinov is the first Bulgarian to win the Booker Prize for his novel "Time Shelter," awarded in 2023.

About the book, the author shares:

"A novel about living in a sharp deficit of the future, blending satire and nostalgia, history and irony. For someone who loves the world of yesterday, this novel was not easy. I wrote (and rewrote) about the blending of times when memory, both personal and collective, packs its bags and leaves. About the time shelters we build when the present is no longer our home."

Georgi Gospodinov himself has become such a significant figure in the new literary history that books dedicated to his work are being published.

Teodora Dimova (in the middle of the photo above)

I read the novel "The Afflicted" by Teodora Dimova for the first time in 2020 during the pandemic, which forced us to isolate. The book was a wonderful companion for me during those difficult times.  

"The Afflicted" tells about the dark periods in Bulgarian history - immediately after the events of September 9, 1944, when many were affected by the totalitarian regime established with the Soviet occupation.

Dimova is among the most well-known and widely read Bulgarian writers. She is the author of 9 plays, performed both in the country and abroad. In 2007, her novel "The Mothers" won the Grand Prize for Eastern European Literature from Bank Austria and KulturKontakt.

Zahari Karabashliev (third on the photo above)

In recent years, Zahari Karabashliev has become one of the most popular, beloved, and bestselling contemporary authors. His books regularly stay at the top of the charts of most sought-after titles.

He is a writer, playwright, photographer, and chief editor at a well-known Bulgarian publishing house.

In 1997, he moved to the USA, where he studied fine art photography and attended classes dedicated to film art and production. During his stay there, he began writing plays in both Bulgarian and English.

With the publication of his first work, "18% Gray" Zahari Karabashliev captured the hearts of many readers with his sincere and original prose, combined with a sense of humor.

His books not only carry the love of readers and a very loyal audience but also numerous prestigious awards.

Have you heard of any of these authors? Do you know any other famous Bulgarian writers? Join the discussion topic in “Practice your Bulgarian" and share your knowledge with the community.

Reneta, OLS Community Manager – Bulgarian

Bulgarian Writers

Source: Canva