OLS Blog

15 Less Well-Known English Words that May Be New to You (part one)

Marieke OLS Community Manager -
Vastausten määrä: 0

If you’ve been studying the English language for quite some time already, it may feel like the language has very few surprises still to discover. But the English language is vast and intriguing at all levels of proficiency. And with over 170.000 words in total, there is a lot you can still learn. In this article, I will introduce you to 15 unique English words that you, even if you are a pretty advanced English learner, may have never heard about. 

Let’s dig in:

1. “Ailurophobe” 
    This word describes a person who is very fond of cats. I know for a fact that I am an ailurophobe. Are you one too and you have a cat at home? Introduce them to the community on our ‘introduce your pets’ thread! 

Source: pexels.com

2. “Collywobbles” 
    This word can be used for having a stomach ache and for when someone is experiencing a bout of anxiety or nervousness. You could, for instance, say, ‘I’ve got the collywobbles for the presentation this afternoon’. 

3. “Discombobulated” 
    This word is synonymous with being confused or bewildered. When something happens by surprise, you may be discombobulated as a result of that.  

4. “Gobbledygook” 
    This word is synonymous with the word ‘gibberish’ and is used to describe a language that has no real meaning, for instance, when a baby makes noises. Or when in a certain industry or field, there is a lot of use of jargon.  

5. “Iridescent” 
    This word describes the multitude of colours that come from, for instance, a bubble or certain types of insects that reflect in the sun and change colour when seen from different angles. 

6. “Lackadaisical” 
    This word describes someone who is carelessly lazy or lacking enthusiasm and determination to get things done. However, it can also be used in the sense that you can say ‘I’m a bit of a lackadaisical mood today’ when you’re having a lazy Sunday.  

7. “Lassitude” 
    This word refers to a certain lethargy, fatigue, slowness and weakness of the body and mind. It is practically synonymous with the words ‘languor’ and ‘listlessness’, both of which almost made this list.  

8. “Limerence” 
    This word refers to an obsessive state of mind when you have romantic feelings for someone. These thoughts are often intrusive, and there is very little the person can do to keep their mind off their person of affection. Limerence is different from love.  

9. “Logophile” 
    This word describes a person who loves words and language. These people are often writers, but maybe you, as a language learner, are also a logophile? If you are, let the community know your favourite English word. 

10. “Pedantic” 
    This word is used to describe someone who is excessively concerned with minor details or rules. Keep in mind that this word is meant as an insult, so never try to compliment someone for their attention to detail by saying they are ‘pedantic’. 

11. “Petrichor” 
    This word refers to the comfortingly earthy and moist smell that fills the air when it rains, especially after a warm and dry period. This smell is often associated with Autumn when the leaves are on the ground.  

12. “Pluviophile” 
    This word is related to the word above, as it describes a person who enjoys rain and rainy days. Many people whose favourite season is Autumn might consider themselves pluviophiles.  

13. “Serendipity” 
    This word refers to good luck that comes from making unexpected and fortunate discoveries. It’s used in the context of love when you meet someone by chance in unexpected circumstances, and it becomes a meaningful relationship. 

14. “Somnambulist” 
    This is a word that refers someone who is a sleepwalker. A somnambulist could eat, walk, or do many other acts you’d typically only do while sleeping.  

15. “Sonder” 
    This word refers to the profound feeling of realising that every single person has life and mind that is as intricate and unique as their own. This feeling often occurs while passing strangers in the street or sitting on a bus with strangers.  

I hope you enjoyed learning about the words in this article! If you’d like to learn more words like this, you can do so in the ‘Practise your English’ section of the forums on the English Leaning Community. Hope to see you there! 

Warmly, 

Marieke, OLS Community Manager - English