Wikibase and Semantic MediaWiki for data-driven semantics
A few hours
In this course, you will learn how community-led tools and platforms like Wikibase, Semantic MediaWiki, and Wikidata can be used to create a data-driven semantic layer in a bottom-up way. Data-driven projects are not meant to replace traditional semantics, typically implemented in a more top-down manner with ontologies and controlled vocabularies carefully designed by official institutions and experts, but rather to offer an alternative and complementary approach leveraging the power of distributed knowledge to improve linked data solutions.
Policymakers, public administrators, data maintainers, IT professionals.
- Pros and cons of using Wikibase/SMW for your dataspace
- Lessons learnt from projects already using Wikibase/SMW instances
- Practical know-how about setting up a new Wikibase/SMW from scratch
- What should be on Wikidata vs in a local Wikibase/SMW
- Comparison between Wikibase and SMW
This content is offered by the European Commission. The European Commission is the European Union's politically independent executive arm. It is alone responsible for drawing up proposals for new European legislation, and it implements the decisions of the European Parliament and the Council of the European Union.
- 1 Wikibase
- 2 Semantic MediaWiki
- 3 Mapping vocabularies
- 4 Future roadmap
- Quiz & Certificate