OLS Blog

Interview: Luka Jačov

de Lore Gudelj Barac -
Número de respuestas: 0

We talked with a passionate language learner and lover Luka Jačov who is the key person and organizer behind the Language table in Zagreb. Born in Croatia, he saw the necessity of bringing polyglots together in fun language gatherings and practicing foreign languages. Language table is free and available to every Erasmus student in Zagreb and a great way to learn new people and make friends. Read more about his language path and how he created a new vibrant community in the Croatian capital city! 

Photo:

Luka, describe yourself in a few sentences, please. Who is Luka Jačov? 

Luka Jačov is a language lover from Zagreb. 

Would you say languages are your passion? 

Absolutely! 

What was your first contact with languages like? 

Regular first contact nearly everyone has through public schooling. 

Which languages do you speak? 

With the different level of proficiency (from better to worse) - English, Russian, French, Romanian. 

And your favorite one is… (and why?)  

I like Russian [(post)-soviet] culture, people, countries, etc. 

What are your tips for language learning? 

Everything will be in vain if you don't have input on a daily basis. 

Do you have any future language goals? 

Yes, improving the languages I learned. 

How do you maintain your language knowledge? 

Through consistent daily input. 

Tell us a best-kept language secret ;) 

Karaoke ;) 

We want to know more about the Language Table! 

Language Conversation Table is an event that takes place every Sunday in Zagreb City center (we change the venues depending on the season) where people have an opportunity to practice their language skills, help others with languages, socialize, and enjoy the company. 

Can you tell us more about the process? Whose idea was it and what was the first one like? 

We start to meet at 6 pm and as we have the first three people for a certain language, we separate them and they form their own language table. The idea came from certain Miljenko Jakovljević who was part of ESNin Vienna where they organized a similar event. When he came back to Zagreb he decided to organize something similar in Zagreb. 

Do you have more plans for it in the future?   

Organize more side activities like day trips, karaoke nights, and outdoor meet-ups (like at Jarun and Bundek lakes) to attract more people to the event. 

Many of our readers come to Erasmus' experience in Croatia; how can they contact you and see the Language Table schedule? 

We publicize the event on several social media - Facebook, MeetUp, CouchSurfing,and Instagram, but if you can't find itfeel free to contact me at ljacov@gmail.com and I will be happy to inform you about the newest Zagreb events. 

Would you like to live elsewhere and where? Why?  

Not at the moment. I am quite satisfied with the place I am currently at. 

What's the best language in the world? 

I don't think there are better or worse languages.  

How would you recommend your country to an Erasmus student? 

Croatia is a very diverse country compared to its size. The mentality of the people is a mixture of all the influences that meet in this country; therefore I think it would suit most people coming here 

What's your favorite thing about Croatia? 

Its Islands! 

And one word/expression/phrase foreigners have to learn here? 

Taman comes to mind right now (although a Turkish word originally) 

Thank you for your time, Luka, and see you at the Language table! :) 

Dear Croatian learners and polyglots. If you have any questions about Luka and the Language table events, share them in the comments and your opinions regarding the subject. We would like to hear all about it! 

Photo: Luka Jačov

Loreta, OLS Community Manager – Croatian