OLS Blog

Interview: Gorkem Şimşek

Lore Gudelj Barac -
Atsakymų skaičius: 0

We talked to Gorkem Şimşek, a 29-year-old Turkish ex-pat who has happily lived in Croatia for 4,5 years. He has been working as a software engineer at a Croatian IT company. In addition, he is married to a beautiful Croatian woman and his motivations in life are traveling to different places and trying different foods from other countries

Photo:

Would you say learning languages is important and why? 

It is absolutely important to learn languages, especially if you live in another country. As someone who lives in Croatia, I make an effort to communicate with others in Croatian. I have noticed that when I speak Croatian, people show me more respect and are more interested in getting to know me as a person. This is just one of the benefits of speaking the language of the country you live in. Additionally, it makes it easier to learn about the culture and understand the people in your host country. 

How many languages do you speak? 

My mother tongue is Turkish. I speak English and some Croatian. 

Which one is your favourite and why? 

I cannot choose a favourite language, but Croatian is significantly different from the other languages I have spoken. 

Is learning languages in Turkey considered important? 

I don't think it is considered as important In Turkey. Turkish people have access to voice-overs or Turkish subtitles even when watching movies or TV series. Many people, especially the older generation, struggle with speaking other languages because of that. However, the younger generation appears to be improving in their language learning abilities. 

Which languages are on your bucket list and when do you plan to learn them? 

Spanish would be a good language to learn since it is the second most widely spoken language in the world. Currently, I have no plans to learn Spanish until I have completed my Croatian course. 

I’ve heard you are a proud Erasmus student. Can you tell us more about it and did you like your experience overall? 

I came to Croatia in 2015 as an Erasmus student. I spent 6 months here, and it definitely changed my perspective. I was able to connect with people from more than 15 countries and get to know Croatian culture, all under one project. It was definitely one of the most memorable times of my life. 

What was your first contact with the Croatian language like? 

After landing in Croatia, I remember being really hungry. I went to a bakery, and it smelled so amazing there. By the way, Croatians are really good at baked goods and flour products. I heard people ordering in Croatian and tried to understand it, but it was completely a different language for me, and it sounded so fast. When it was my turn, I heard "Izvolite," and I accepted that as a warm welcome in Croatia. 

Can you give some tips for all the new Croatian learners? 

The Croatian language is hard. The way people express themselves is completely different from mine in Turkish or English. I believe it is essential to enroll in a Croatian course. In addition to that, listening to people helps a lot. I am currently taking some courses, but I listen to my colleagues in the office and have picked up a lot of things about Croatian. I also watch some channels on TV and learn lots of things from that as well.  

What was the most difficult thing and what was the easiest thing about learning it? 

One of the biggest challenges in Croatian is its countless exceptions, such as the word "Noć" (Night), which seems masculine at first sight, but is actually feminine. Remembering these exceptions can be difficult. However, there are plenty of resources available to help with learning Croatian. This is a positive aspect of the language.  

Do you still have goals for Croatian improvement? 

For sure. I'd like to get to C1 level in Croatian. It will require more time but I am not rushing it at all. 

I know that you have an interesting Tik-tok account about Turkish-Croatian culture mash& clash? The funniest thing from you about the Croatian culture? 

There is a funny thing I discovered lately about Croatian culture. When people around the world count down, they count down as: 

• 1, 2, 3 go! 

• 3, 2, 1 go! 

Croatians count down as: 

• 3, 4, sad!  

Where did 1 and 2 go? :) 

My user name in TikTok is turcinuhr so feel free to follow me :) 

What do Turkish and Croatian people have in common? 

Croatian and Turkish share a lot, particularly in food and culture. Some common dishes include sarma, punjena paprika, and burek.  

Additionally, a large number of Turkish words have been integrated into Croatian language. Some examples include "čelik," "čekić," "budala," "džep," "hajde," "kopča," and "jastuk." The list goes on.  

What are the things you least like here and vice versa? 

There are only 2 things I don't like about Croatia: 

• The weather: The summer is too short and the winters are longer and colder than I anticipated. 

• Service: Obtaining any type of service is slower than what I was used to in Turkey. Generally, ordering and receiving food in restaurants takes a lot of time. 

I could list many things I like about Croatia, such as the food, friendly people, and the coast, but what I love most about this country is its peacefulness/calmness. I grew up in a small town in Turkey and Zagreb is not so crowded. I like it a lot. 

How would you define a polyglot? 

A polyglot is a person who can speak multiple languages fluently. It's a term used to describe someone who has a high level of proficiency in several different languages, allowing them to communicate effectively in those languages.  

How do you see the future of language learning? 

I believe that learning new languages will become easier in the future as new technologies are developed. At some point, we may not even need to actively learn new languages, as they could be uploaded directly into our memories or brains in the future. 

Would you like to live elsewhere and which countries you find interesting? 

I am not currently considering relocating to another country, but Portugal or Spain could be good options due to their warmer weather. 

What's your favorite Croatian song? And Croatian city? 

One of my favorite songs is "Jutro donosi kraj" by Vesna Pisarović. During the Christmas celebration in December, people were singing this song together and I was impressed by the song and the whole atmosphere. This inspired me to start listening to the song and I quickly grew to love it. 

My favorite city is, of course, Zagreb. It offers a variety of opportunities and amenities. 

Recommend us a place you like in Zagreb! 

As someone who has a strong appreciation for food, I highly recommend the "Savica Eatery." The restaurant offers delicious food in generous portions. 

What's the most important thing Erasmus left you? 

To be out of my comfort zone and always look for new challenges. Stepping outside my comfort zone and embracing new challenges has allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of myself. 

And for the end, your favorite Croatian word, expression or phrase! 

"Pomalo" is my favorite Croatian word because every time I mention that I am learning Croatian, people always say "Pomalo" which means "slowly" and encourages me not to rush the process. 

Thank you for your time, Gorkem. Puno hvala i sretno! :) 

Thank you for your kind words and for giving me the opportunity to participate in this wonderful interview! 

Dear Croatian learners and polyglots. If you have any questions about Gorkem, Croatian language learning, and his Erasmus experience, share them in the comments and your opinions regarding the subject. We would like to hear all about it! 

Photo: Gorkem Şimşek

Loreta, OLS Community Manager – Croatian