How to Get the Most Out of the OLS Irish Community

by Caoimhe Ní Chearbhaill OLS Irish Community Manager -
Number of replies: 1

How to get the most out of the OLS Irish Community

Source: Caoimhe, OLS Irish Community Manager 2023

Réamhrá 

Dia daoibh! Tá súil agam go bhfuil sibh go maith. Tá a fhios agam nach bhfuilimid tar éis é seo a phlé le tamall, mar sin tá an post blag seo curtha le chéile agam chun bhur gcuimhne a athnuachan agus chun a thaispeáint daoibh conas an leas is fearr a bhaint as Pobal na Gaeilge OLS, i gceann tréimhse ghearr ama.  

1. Glac Páirt Gníomhach i bhFóraim 

Tum isteach i bhfóraim OLS. Cuir ceisteanna, roinn léargais, agus glac páirt i bpléití. Is bealach iontach é chun do Ghaeilge a chleachtadh agus foghlaim ó dhaoine eile. Cuimhnigh, dá mhéad a ghlacann tú páirt, is ea is mó a fhoghlaimíonn tú! 

2. Bain Úsáid as na Cúrsaí Teanga 

Táimid ag nuashonrú na gcúrsaí ar an ardán i gcónaí thar an 29 teanga. Déan é mar nós laethúil na cúrsaí seo a chríochnú. Ní hamháin go bhfuil siad oideachasúil ach tá siad spraoiúil agus idirghníomhach freisin. 

3. Rochtain ar Acmhainní Ilmheáin 

Tá neart acmhainní ilmheáin ag OLS cosúil le físeáin, podchraoltaí, agus ailt. Féadann siad do scileanna éisteachta agus tuiscint a fheabhsú go mór. Chomh maith leis sin, tugann siad léargas ar chultúr agus stair na hÉireann. 

5. Glac Páirt i nDúshláin an Phobail 

Coinnigh súil amach do dhúshláin nó comórtais an phobail sna Fóraim. De ghnáth, cuirim fógra amach nuair a thosaíonn ceann nua, mar sin déan cinnte go bhfuil do shíntiús ríomhphoist ar siúl. Tá siad spraoiúil, tarraingteach, agus tugann siad mothú rathúlachta. Chomh maith leis sin, is bealach iontach é do scileanna a thástáil i gcoinne daoine eile. 

6. Bain úsáid as mo taithi Gaelach!  

Má tá tú ag streachailt, ná bíodh drogall ort teachtaireacht phríobháideach a sheoladh chugam. Is breá liom a thaispeáint duit conas atá an Ghaeilge cúl, agus an sprioc deiridh ná go bhfágann tú chomh paiseanta agus atá mé ;). Is féidir liom treoir phearsantaithe a chur ar fáil agus cabhrú leat dúshláin ar leith i bhfoghlaim na Gaeilge a shárú. 

7. Déan Líonrú le Foghlaimeoirí Eile 

Níl líonrú díreach do ghairmithe. Déan ceangal le foghlaimeoirí eile. Roinn do thaithí agus leideanna foghlama. Féadann na ceangail seo cairdeas buan agus timpeallacht tacaíochta foghlama a chruthú. Agus cinnte, inis do do chairde faoin bpobal, an méid is mó, an méid is fearr! 

8. Iniúchadh ar Ábhar Cultúrtha 

Tá dlúthcheangal idir an Ghaeilge agus a cultúr. Tairgeann OLS ábhar cultúrtha a thugann léargas níos doimhne agus meas ar an teanga. Tum isteach san ábhar seo chun do chumas cultúrtha a fheabhsú. 

9. Leag Amach Spriocanna Pearsanta 

Leag amach spriocanna soiléire, inbhainte do do fhoghlaim teanga. Bain úsáid as acmhainní OLS chun do dhul chun cinn a rianú agus fanacht spreagtha. Ceiliúradh do bhuaicphointí, beag beann ar cé chomh beag is atá siad. 

10. Cuir Aiseolas agus Moltaí ar Fáil 

Tá luach ar do chuid aiseolais. Roinn do mholtaí le pobal OLS chun cabhrú leis an ardán a fheabhsú. Trí rannpháirtíocht ar an mbealach seo, déanann tú ball gníomhach den phobal agus cuireann tú leis an bhfás. 

Conclúid 

Tairgeann pobal na Gaeilge OLS saibhreas acmhainní chun Gaeilge a fhoghlaim. Trí rannpháirtíocht ghníomhach, ag baint úsáide as na hacmhainní éagsúla atá ar fáil, agus ag déanamh ceangail le daoine eile, is féidir leat do thuras foghlama teanga a fheabhsú go mór. Tum isteach, iniúchadh, agus bain sult as an taithí shaibhir a chuireann OLS ar fáil! 

English Translation

Source: Caoimhe, OLS Irish Community Manager 2023

ENGLISH TRANSLATION 

Introduction 

Dia dhaoibh! Hope you are good. I know we have not gone over this in a while, so I have put together this blog post to refresh your memory and show you how to get the most out of the OLS Irish Community, in a short amount of time. I mean, let us be realistic, you are an Erasmus student trying to immerse yourself in a new culture, so you need these tips to be quick and easy to fit into your day.  

1. Engage Actively in Forums 

Dive into the OLS forums. Ask questions, share insights, and participate in discussions. It’s a great way to practice your Irish and learn from others. Remember, the more you engage, the more you learn! 

2. Utilise the Language Courses 

We are continuously updating the courses on the platform across all 29 language. Make it a daily habit to complete these courses. They're not only educational but also fun and interactive. 

3. Access the Digital Resources on OLS 

OLS is rich in multimedia resources like videos, podcasts, and articles. These can significantly enhance your listening and comprehension skills. Plus, they offer a glimpse into Irish culture and history. 

5. Participate in Community Challenges 

Keep an eye out for community challenges or competitions in the Forums. I will usually send out an announcement once a new one has gone live, so make sure your email subscription is switched on. They are fun, engaging, and provide a sense of accomplishment. Plus, it’s a great way to test your skills against others. 

6. Use me to help you  

If you find yourself struggling, don’t hesitate to message me via private message. I love showing you how Irish is cool, with the end goal being that you walk away just as passionate as I am ;). I can provide personalised guidance and help you overcome specific challenges in learning Irish. 

7. Network with Fellow Learners 

Networking isn't just for professionals. Connect with fellow learners. Share your experiences and learning tips. These connections can lead to lasting friendships and a supportive learning environment. And definitely let your friends know about the community, the more the merrier!  

8. Explore Cultural Content 

Irish language is deeply connected to its culture. OLS offers cultural content that can provide a deeper understanding and appreciation of the language. Delve into this content to enhance your cultural competence.  

9. Set Personal Goals 

Set clear, achievable goals for your language learning. Use OLS resources to track your progress and stay motivated. Celebrate your milestones, no matter how small they seem. 

10. Provide Feedback and Suggestions 

Your feedback is valuable. Share your suggestions with the OLS community to help improve the platform. Engaging in this way makes you an active member of the community and contributes to its growth. 

Conclusion 

The OLS Irish community offers a wealth of resources for learning the Irish language. By actively participating, utilising the diverse resources available, and connecting with others, you can significantly enhance your language learning journey. Dive in, explore, and enjoy the rich experience that OLS provides! 

In reply to Caoimhe Ní Chearbhaill OLS Irish Community Manager

Re: How to Get the Most Out of the OLS Irish Community

by Carla García Clar -
Hi! I hope you are doing great.

My name is Carla, I am a 23-year-old Spanish girl who has been living in Dublin for longer than a year now. I am getting in touch with you because I would like to ask you if there is any sort of language and/or culture tandem I could be part of.

The thing is that, when I moved to Ireland, I was truly happy and excited about getting to know and befriend local people and getting immersed within the Irish culture and society. I had even the idea of learning some Irish and practice it if I was lucky enough to find someone who spoke the language. However, I have not had the chance to make any Irish friends, which I feel is quite sad and, as I would not like to leave the country feeling I have not befriended any Irish person or not learnt much more about the country, its culture and less about the Irish language, I was wondering if maybe you know about or would be interested in any language tandem (I am a native speaker of Spanish and Catalan) or in any kind of coffee chat to discuss in English about the Irish culture and/or language, which would also motivate me to keep learning some more Irish.

Thank you very much, and I hope you enjoy your Christmas holidays.

Best regards, 
Carla