“Living abroad” Forum

Her majesty - the Soup!

Her majesty - the Soup!

yazan Reneta OLS Community Manager -
Yanıt sayısı: 4
Hello, community!

Hope you are doing well (and learning the Bulgarian Language hard) !

Living abroad can enrich you culturally, but why not culinary? Today this discussion topic is inspired by my new blog post "5 Bulgarian Traditional Soups to Try". Feel free to share your opinion in the comments below!

Culinary

I am very curious to ask you if there are any of you, who tried the Bulgarian Tripe Soup? How did you find the taste, did you even dare to try it, or did you give up right after you saw it?

Reneta, OLS Community Manager – Bulgarian

(Edited by Guido Adragna - original submission Friday, 15 December 2023, 3:12 PM)

Reneta OLS Community Manager yanıt olarak

Re: Her majesty - the Soup!

yazan Saskia Masur -
What I would like to discuss is how recommending people to try things made out of the suffering of non-human animals that is also destroying our future ligns up with EU values?
*Short explanation for those wondering what 'normal' food has to do with animal abuse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcN7SGGoCNI
And how this will harm the children: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaPge01NQTQ&t=7s
Sorry to start the discussion so negative but I really did not expect the EU academy to trigger me on a Saturday morning by asking my opinion about the taste of the stolen organs of an abused mother.
Saskia Masur yanıt olarak

Dear Saskia Masur,

In this article, I speak about something related to Bulgarian Traditions and Peculiarities related to food consumption. 

As OLS manager for Bulgarian Language, I do my best to present the Bulgarian culture as it is.

I truly understand your point of view and I am sorry if you got offended!

I hope you have a wonderful day!

Reneta OLS Community Manager yanıt olarak

yazan Saskia Masur -
Thank you for your half-apology. But I am actually less offended than I am still concerned about the values people assume appropriate to share under the banner of the EU academy where I really did not expect people still perpetuating harmful practice under the appeal to culture fallacy.
I understand that your role is to inform about culture. However, I believe it's essential to engage with cultural practices critically, especially when they involve harm to sentient beings. I know that there is a way to accurately describe culture how it is, without actively encouraging people to engage in atrocities. As of what I learned so far, the Bulgarian cuisine offers many historically cruelty-free dishes to promote. Like lutenitza, limetzi, so many ways to prepare all those legumes and delicious plants this country has to offer.. up until today where many Bulgarians ferment nuts and pulses instead of stolen dairy to embrace the ideal of peace and compassion for the holidays. In your article however it seems you go out of your way to mention how even the traditional violence-free bean soup can be made with an addition of corpses.. Can you imagine if I reported for example on my German grandparents culture encouraging people to try the soap they made out of who they deemed unworthy of rights and trying to start an uplifting chat about that? If someone had a problem with it, I remain that this is how their culture is and I am reflecting it accurately. This is how insanely removed from morality your writing sounds to sensitive people.
As a platform associated with the European Union, I expect a commitment to evolving ethical standards and an acknowledgment of the growing global awareness of the impact of our choices. Promoting dishes that involve the suffering of sentient beings contradicts EU principles of compassion and sustainability. Culture evolves, and celebrating Bulgarian heritage can be done without endorsing outdated practices that contribute to animal cruelty and environmental degradation. I urge you to consider that cultural representation carries a responsibility, especially within an educational context.
Thank you for considering this perspective. I believe it's crucial to celebrate culture in ways that align with our shared values of compassion, sustainability, and progress.
Saskia Masur yanıt olarak

Dear Saskia Masur,

I hope my message finds you well!

I want to express my sincere appreciation for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns regarding the recent content related to Bulgarian cuisine.

I understand the responsibility that comes with cultural representation, especially within an educational context and as a platform associated with the European Union.

I value your perspective, and I am dedicated to continuous improvement to ensure that my content is both informative and respectful.