OLS Blog

Interview: Inspired by Croatia/ Olivia Loren

yazan Loreta OLS Community Manager -
Yanıt sayısı: 0

Today, we had the pleasure of meeting Olivia Loren, a captivating traveler who is enthralled by the magic of Croatia. Though American-born and raised, Olivia's deep Croatian heritage led her to pursue an MBA in Zagreb, sparking a love story with the country that has endured for ten years. Through her blog, "Inspired by Croatia," Olivia expresses her passion for travel and offers visitors a unique perspective on Croatian culture, providing valuable tips and local knowledge for those yearning to experience Croatia's wonders firsthand. 

Hello Olivia, it's wonderful to meet you. Could you please introduce yourself to the Online Language Support users? We are genuinely interested in getting to know more about you. 

Nice to meet you as well! I was born and raised in the USA but have Croatian roots. When I graduated from college, I decided to pursue my MBA in Zagreb because I wanted to get to know my home country a little bit better. My plan was to finish the program and move back to the US, but while I was in Croatia I fell in love with the lifestyle. 10 years later, I’m still here! 

Photo: Buzet, Inspired by Croatia 

We've noticed your very interesting blog: Inspired by Croatia. Can you tell us more about it?  

Thank you! I started the blog, Inspired by Croatia, to provide visitors with everything they need to plan the Croatia trip of their dreams. My content helps people discover the best of Croatia through exclusive local insights, destination guides, and travel tips you can’t find anywhere else. Soon after that, I also began creating videos for social media. On my  channels, I share more inspirational travel content, cultural differences, and things that I find interesting about life in Croatia. 

What made you make digital  content about your country? What inspired you to start? 

I love to travel, so originally my idea was to create content about different destinations around the world. When the pandemic hit, all of my travel plans were canceled and I was mainly exploring Croatia. It was around that same time that I discovered other American creators who were sharing their lives abroad in countries like Japan, Spain and Italy. 

It was interesting to watch them share their experiences living in a foreign country. I remember going for coffee with my friend and telling her about it. She said that as someone who was born and raised in Croatia, it would be interesting to see my American perspective on life and travel in Croatia. So I decided to give it a try! 

Photo: Rovinj, Inspired by Croatia 

How would you describe our country to a foreigner? 

Croatia is a small country that packs a big punch. It has incredible natural beauty, interesting architecture, delicious food, a wonderful Mediterranean climate, and a coast that is unbelievably spectacular. Even though Croatia has rapidly grown in popularity over the last decade, there are still many places that are untouched. It is also a very safe country, and the locals are welcoming. 

Do you often get questions from foreign people? What about? Do they ask you for travel tips? 

All the time! People who are planning to travel to Croatia often ask me for advice on where to go and what to do. I also get questions from people planning to move to Croatia - sometimes these are foreigners, and sometimes they are like me (Croatians who grew up in the diaspora). 

Photo: Lokrum, Inspired by Croatia 

What's the most viewed content on your blog/ social account? 

On my blog, the most viewed are Croatia travel itineraries. On my social accounts, it is usually videos about the cultural differences between the US and Croatia. 

How would you describe your hometown to visitors? What should they expect? 

I live in Zagreb, Croatia’s capital city, and I would describe it as extremely underrated! Zagreb boasts a vibrant cafe scene, lots of international restaurants, and all sorts of unique spots popping up every month. Unlike the coast and islands, Zagreb has events going on all throughout the year. There are countless festivals, fairs, concerts, and cultural events to experience, so you’ll never be short on things to do. 

Also, anyone who loves the great outdoors will be pleasantly surprised to find that Zagreb has plenty of opportunities for running, biking, and exploring nature. The city is dotted with beautiful parks, and the nearby Medvednica mountain is perfect for hiking, leisurely strolls, and even skiing in the winter. 

Photo: Zagreb, Inspired by Croatia 

What's your favourite local spot? Can you recommend any hidden gems or lesser-known destinations that you've discovered? 

In Zagreb, my favorite local spot that is a bit away from the tourist area is the neighborhood of Martićeva. I like to call it the “Brooklyn of Zagreb” because it is very artistic, has lots of interesting coffee shops, bars, restaurants, and just an overall cool vibe to it. 

What is the pace of life like in your country? Is it more relaxed or fast-paced? 

I’d say the pace of life in Croatia is pretty laidback. Croatians really value spending time with firends and family, and there is always time for a cup of coffee. 

Photo: Rovinj, Inspired by Croatia 

Are there any language nuances or gestures that foreigners might find interesting? 

The Croatian language has a lot of words that have been “borrowed”, also known as loanwords. Because Croatia spent many years under various empires, words from languages like German, Turkish, and Italian have been incorporated into our vocabulary, so you may be able to recognize some familiar terms. 

How do people in your country typically socialize or spend their free time? 

Coffee! Going for coffee in Croatia is the number one way people socialize. Friends, family, significant others - everyone meets over coffee. You don’t even have to order coffee when you go - you can order anything you’d like from tea to soft drinks to beer. These coffee dates usually last several hours, and it’s not uncommon for coffee to turn into cocktails. 

Photo: Split, Inspired by Croatia 

If someone were to visit your country, what are the must-visit places or experiences? 

If visiting Croatia during the summer, I would definitely recommend going island hopping either on your own or with a tour. The islands have the most gorgeous water, beaches and scenery in all of Croatia. I would also suggest visiting Istria, one of my favorite areas in Croatia. It is a fairytale-like region that’s covered in lush vineyards, medieval hilltop towns, and a rugged coastline dotted with charming fishing villages. 

Can you recommend any off-the-beaten-path destinations that travelers might find interesting? 

A few of my favorite lesser-known destinations in Croatia are Zrmanja River Canyon near Zadar, Pijana Pruga (“Drunk Railroad”) in Istria, and the Hill of Mađerka which makes for a fun day trip from Zagreb. 

What is your all-time favorite European travel destination, and why? What destinations are on your travel bucket list? 

My favorite European travel destination is Amsterdam! I could totally see myself living there. 

Other European destinations on my travel bucket list are Portugal, Cyprus, and Prague. 

Have you had any experiences that significantly changed your perspective on travel or life? 

Absolutely. I think traveling in general has significantly impacted the person that I am today. It has opened my eyes to different cultures, perspectives, and ways of life, making me a more compassionate and open-minded individual. It’s certainly helped with life skills as well like communication, independence, resourcefulness, and handling stressful situations. I know it’s cliche, but I really do believe that travel is the best teacher in life. 

Photo: Hvar, Inspired by Croatia 

Are languages important for you and which ones do you speak? 

I speak both English and Croatian fluently. I would love to speak another world language like Italian or Spanish. 

Have you been part of a student exchange program? If so, would you be willing to share your experiences? If not, do you have any feelings of regret about not seizing the opportunity to participate? 

I have done 3 exchange programs during my undergraduate and graduate years. Two of them were in Europe: one in London and the other in Zagreb, Croatia, and one was in Bangkok, Thailand. I definitely think that every student should seize the opportunity to study abroad. There is truly no other experience like it. It gives you the chance to immerse yourself in a totally different culture and way of life. You’ll meet people from all over the world and make lifelong friendships with whom you’ll share incredible experiences. It’s a great way to dip your toes into the waters of independence and responsibility while still having a support system in place. If I could, I would do it all over again! 

Photo: Cavtat, Inspired by Croatia 

What's your favourite Croatian word/ expression? 

“Fakat” which is slang in Zagreb for “really”. 

And your favourite Croatian song? 

It’s hard for me to choose a favorite, but I do love “Moji koraki” by Šajeta. 

What about some good Croatian dish not to miss? 

Zagorski štruklipašticada with gnocchi, black risotto, and lamb peka. 

You often share some funny videos about Croatians. Can you tell us the funny aspects about Croatians? 

Croatians have some interesting rules and superstitions that they take very seriously. A few of the most common ones include: don’t sit directly on cold concrete, avoid any cross-breeze (“propuh”), and never go outside with wet hair. 

How would you descibe Croatians to other European nations? 

Croatians have big hearts and they are always willing to help. They also have a great sense of humor and love to poke fun at themselves and others. 

Photo: Trogir, Inspired by Croatia 

And in the end, if somebody wanted to learn Croatian better. What are your best tips? 

The best way to learn Croatian is to completely immerse yourself in the language. Practice, practice, practice, and speak through your mistakes! Don’t be embarrassed if you mess up - Croatian is hard. Finding a friend or someone who speaks fluent Croatian to practice with is ideal. 

How has travel blogging changed since you started, and where do you see it heading in the future? 

When I first started, highly curated photos with a significant amount of editing used to be enough. All you needed was one stunning shot and a sentence or two to influence someone’s travel plans. Today, people are looking for authentic experiences from creators and bloggers exploring on the ground– they crave genuine, unfiltered insights into the places they dream of visiting. This shift has led to a rise in storytelling, where travel bloggers are connecting to their audience by sharing personal stories and practical travel tips. I think this will be even more important going forward, especially with the development of AI. 

Where do you see yourself in the future? 

In the future, I still see myself having a home base in Croatia and one in another, warmer part of the world. Winters in Zagreb are cold and foggy with some rain and snow. I’d love to be able to escape somewhere tropical during the winter months. 

Thank you, Olivia, for taking the time. Wishing you the best of luck with your endeavors. Puno hvala i sretno! :)  

Loreta, OLS Community Manager – Croatian

(Edited by Guido Adragna - original submission Monday, 25 March 2024, 10:44 AM)