OLS Blog

Interview: Ivona Bezmalinovic

од Loreta OLS Community Manager -
Број на одговори: 0

We've had the pleasure of interviewing Ivona Bezmalinovic, a very talented photographer whose work encapsulates the beauty and essence of the Mediterranean. Ivona's journey into photography was a natural progression from her career as a marina manager and nautical business owner. Now, she captures the essence of special occasions and everyday moments with her storytelling photography. Her social profile, known as bezminica, showcases her cinematic storytelling of human connections, life, faces, and places. Through her lens, she captures raw emotions and hidden moments, conveying the depth of the Mediterranean experience, we hope you love her photos as much as we do.

Source: Ivona Bezmalinovic

Hi Ivona, could you provide a brief self-description for the OLS platform? We'd like to know more about who Ivona Bezmalinovic is. 

Mom of two boys , a Mediterranean girl, in love with sea, wind, and emotions. A girl who after an amazing career as a marina manager and nautical business, decided to continue her own footsteps. To follow her own visualization of special occasions and all the ways they could be experienced in Mediterranean style. Photography has been my daily life for so long I don't even remember when it all started, so it feels natural to have storytelling photography as something that I now do for a living.  

You’re digitally known as bezminica, can you tell us a little bit about your social profile and what is it about?

I would say cinematic storytelling of human connections, life, faces and places through my camera. Destination weddings, editorial, lifestyle. Raw emotions and hidden moments are something that drives my creativity. As I see creativity is strongly linked to emotions, and I try to convey that with photos on my social platform.  

We love your aesthetic. Would you describe it as Mediterranean and how would you like to be perceived by the public? 

Thank you. Only the Mediterranean as I remember growing up, with a touch of nostalgia, as some places have changed with time. For me photography is the perfect tool to capture those hidden moments of love, laughter, joy, sadness... ALL THAT WE TRULY ARE, if I can choose, this would be my signature mark. 

We love your coastal views. Are the seaside landscapes important in your life?  

I am born in the Mediterranean and have lived all my life in a city on the coast, so it is very difficult for me to imagine life without the sea. The sea and the Mediterranean climate offer this ease of living, being outdoors, swimming all year round for the brave (I dive...), watching sunsets, listening to the sea... Oh, I could go on until tomorrow. 

And your home city? 

Split is amazing. The most beautiful city in the world (if you ask me). Just exactly to the measure of man, for a perfect life. Surrounded by the sea, beaches, hills, with a rich history and art, easily connected to beautiful islands 1-2 hours away by ferry. it has everything, come, and check by yourself!  

What would you say is most special about Croatia?

Everything. Such a “small country, full of diversity (art, culture, natural resources (lakes, mountains, islands), gastronomy, winemaking, olive oil making, truffles etc. You can enjoy the sea and in three hour driving distance be inland at the breathtaking Plitvice lakes.  

What are people from of Dalmatia like? 

Stubborn, with an amazingly sarcastic humour (I’m in love with that), fashionistas, loud (every conversation looks like an argument - trust me its not), temperamental and handsome.

Do you have your favourite Dalmatian phrase?  

Pomalo (literally, meansto take it easy, to relax, no stress, but also slow down, no worries). Vrag odnija prišu (an idiom used when wanting to say "what's the hurry?") 

Did you try to learn somebody Croatian and if so, what was it like? Which words do you think are essential for some basics? 

Croatian is a quite challenging language, but my foreign friends learned my favourite expressions like “pomalo(easy no rush), nema problema(no problem), fala( Dalmatian version ofthanks), “dobar dan  ( good day), “dobro  (good), “jednu kavu  (one coffee), and so on. 

Do you like languages and which ones do you speak? What was the learning experience like for you? 

I love languages, especially for communication in some small rural authentic places as it gives you the ability to communicate and blend with locals. I speak English, Italian, German and self-learned Spanish (as I use Italian a lot more, I have a problem when I have to say something in Spanish, but I practice.) 

Do you have any good advice for Erasmus students or ESC volunteers coming to Split? What to expect?  

You will enjoy, a beautiful city awaits you, friendly people, nice weather, easy living. 

Have you participated in the Erasmus program? If yes, could you share your experience? If not, do you have any regrets about not taking part in it? 

Unfortunately not, in my high school/ university days the school system was not so aligned with the European one, and traveling was difficult. I think Erasmus is a great opportunity to explore, learn and to get new experience.  

How frequently do you travel, and could you tell us about your preferred destinations in Europe?  

I travel a lot with my family- leisure and for work. Because in addition to photography, I also do the production of larger events that mostly take place outside of Croatia.  

For me Naples- my perfect mess, Ostuni(small town-Puglia), Barcelona, Iceland, Paris, Scotland… There are so many.  

If Croatia wasn't your current residence, which European country holds a special place in your heart and what is the reason behind your affection for it? 

I think maybe Daia- Mallorca, Mediterranean. ;) Similar like my hometown, clear sea is the must.  

What is your favourite Croatian dish? And the one not to be missed in your local spot?  

Soparnik a traditional dish is a savoury pie made with finely ground wheat flour with a filling of Swiss chard, black risotto, Gregada or Brodet, brudet or brodetto is a seafood stewHvaranin Tavern , Varoš tavern, Fetivi tavern…  

Which location is an absolute must-visit and shouldn't be overlooked? 

Diocletian’s palace ofc, you can climb on the St. Domnius tower from which there’s a spectacular view of the whole city, islands. It’s wonderful. Get lost in the small streets of  Varos area, and feel how the locals live. If you love art, must visit Mestrovic gallery.   

We can see the slow life lifestyle is important to you. What are your favourite routines? 

Coffee, coffee, coffee with friends. On Saturdays going to the green market with friends, drinking coffee after shopping, lunch in the park, another coffee and going home in the evening after the sunset. It’s like a ritual for us. On Sundays we are with families and friends, we mostly grill, hang out with food and enjoy 

Do you have a passion for literature or a keen interest in art? Could you share some must-read recommendations? Additionally, are there any notable Croatian authors or artists that you believe mobility participants should be familiar with? 

I love art and poetry. Proud that we have had an artist like Ivan Meštrović, that big guy Grgur Ninski (statue), whose toe you gonna rub and make a wish, is his work. I love Tin Ujevic’s poetry, Lipovac’s art, you can visit ancient Salona - Solin 20min from Split, Marko Marulić, August Šenoa, Ivana B. Mažuranić, Maria Jurić Zagorka and many others.  

What’s the best place you would absolutely recommend to mobility participants in Croatia to visit and why? 

Depends on interests, natural beauty. Maybe the island of Vis with the Blue cave, National park Plitvička jezera, Krapina with its Krapina Neanderthal Museum, Salona an ancient city, Dubrovnik, Split, Trogir, Pula - cities with a rich history, Zagreb - capital city - museums, art etc.  

What is something you particularly love about Croatia? On the flip side, what is something that doesn't resonate with you as much? 

Slow life lifestyle, diversity, availability are a plus. A flip-side would be unorganised business, lack of support for local communities, mass tourism, bad branding of individual locations, bad targeting of a perfect clients. 

Do you have a favourite Croatian song? 

Yes, the old songs by Oliver Dragojević.  

We know this is an impossible question, but what is your favourite photograph you’re taken in Croatia? 

Oh, maybe a morning swim of pensioners at Bačvice beach or the one with drying clothes in the wind in Dubrovnik.  

Do you take photos of foreigners in our country and if so, how they can contact you? 

Of course I photograph foreigners + I’m available worldwide. They can contact me via my web site www.sentimenti.me or @bezminica profile. 

Thank you for your time, Ivona. We wish you a lot of luck with your work. Puno hvala i sretno! :)   

Thank you I hope I managed to convey to you what it's like to live in Croatia! ;) 

*have fun! School and university time passes too quickly, there is no replay, use it to create the most beautiful memories. 

Loreta, OLS Community Manager – Croatian