“Living abroad” Forum

Language Barriers

Language Barriers

by Reneta OLS Community Manager -
Number of replies: 0

Hello, Language Learners!

I would like to start this topic about Language Barriers in my country, so that you can be prepared for an unexpected situations. Being able to interact with the locals in a new country is the basis of an overall good experience and I am here to advice you!

Like in other countries, many Bulgarians do speak foreign languages, particularly English, which is commonly taught in schools and universities. Other commonly spoken foreign languages in Bulgaria include German, French, Spanish, and Russian.

In larger cities and tourist areas, it is often easier to find people (more often young people) who speak English, and many businesses offer information and services in multiple languages.

However, in some institutions or outside of these big areas, there may be fewer people who speak foreign languages, so it will be helpful to learn some basic Bulgarian phrases if you plan to visit or live in Bulgaria.

While there can still be a language barrier for foreigners in Bulgaria, many Bulgarians who speak foreign languages are often willing to help visitors who don't speak Bulgarian.

If you are already living in Bulgaria, and maybe you have some funny stories related to language barriers to share, feel free to share it with us in the comments below. :)

Reneta, OLS Community Manager - Bulgarian