A magical castle in the UK

A magical castle in the UK

Liczba odpowiedzi: 101
A MAGICAL CASTLE IN THE UK

by Claude, English Community Manager”

Do you love castles?
Then this article is for you, because spring is the perfect season to visit Britain’s most historic sites. In the UK there are around 4,000 castles, but my favourite is in Warwick, in central England.

Warwick Castle was built in 1068, but it’s in great condition. It is surrounded by a network of tall defensive towers.

I first visited it on a sunny day in May with my schoolmates. When we arrived, people welcomed us wearing medieval costumes. The atmosphere was magical. Every room was decorated exactly like in the medieval era. It felt like we’d travelled back in time!

Warwick Castle, England
What about you?
Do you have a favourite castle?
Which castles from your country do you recommend?
Tell us all in the comments section.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Elsa Gonçalves ()
We’re a I live a have one little city with a beautiful castle. I don’t remember the year but is very old. '
W odpowiedzi na Elsa Gonçalves

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Maria Sequeira ()
I leave em Oeiras here is'nt castles. But in Lisboa have a beautiful castle called castle of Mouros
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Camilo Gallo Garcia ()
I lived in a city in portugal, it's name is guimaraes, this city is very beutifull and have a big castel with several tower
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Celia Moran ()
I love castles. I had the opportunity to know 2. 1 in Ireland, in Malahide. That casle was building in century 11, was the Talbot's family.
The other one was the Palacio de Fontainebleau, in France. Both were fascinanting.
W odpowiedzi na Celia Moran

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Celia,
Thank you for commenting.
I've heard of Palacio de Fontainebleau and I looked it up online. It looks enormous!!!
Where are you from?
Are there any castles from your region that you would recommend?
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Esther Sanchis ()
Hello, I don't have any favorite castle, but I want to visit some of them.
W odpowiedzi na Esther Sanchis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Esther,
Are you from Spain?
If you are from Spain, may I recommend two castles?
There are many, but I'd like to recommend two in particular:
Alcazar de los Reyes, in Córdoba, is my number one.
It's absolutely spectacular, with some dream-like gardens.
Also, there's Alcazar de Segovia, with its unique shape. It's simply stunning.



W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Rita Pistillo ()
I live in Rome and my favourite castle is Castel Sant' Angelo
W odpowiedzi na Rita Pistillo

Re: Ri: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Rita,
That's amazing!
You live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
I remember visiting Rome in the 1990s and it was so wonderful. There were ancient monuments everywhere, like an open history book in real life.
And yes...I also remember Castel Sant'Angelo, what an imposing castle.
Thanks for your contribution.
See you on this forum again!
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Esteban Apablaza Urbina ()
I live in Spain and here there're many castles around the country. Actually I am a fan of castles around the world, but I don't have a favourite one. In Catalonia when you hiking in the mountains, a castle can appear out of nowhere. It's very interesting to live in a place as Catalonia is.
W odpowiedzi na Esteban Apablaza Urbina

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Esteban,
Very true.
I lived in Catalonia for three years and it's such a varied region with so much history.
There are *serious* mountains, amazing Mediterranean beaches, rugged terrains with amazing rocky formations, pine forests, Montserrat, etc. Oh... and let's not forget Barcelona!
I was in Terrassa.
Have you ever been there?
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Gökay düzparmak ()
there is one as an old town this is such a good castle
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Igor Berrio ()
I,m from Spain near of mu city, is Olite and Ujue in Navarra, this places are beautifull, can you visit this castells
W odpowiedzi na Igor Berrio

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Igor,
Yes, "Castillo de Olite" is a beauty.
To be honest, Navarra as a whole deserves a good visit.
By the way, is Castillo de Olite now a "Parador"?

PS In Spain some historic buildings have been converted into state-owned hotel known as "paradores".
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Danijela Tutavac ()
Hello! I am from Croatia. We have many castles. But I recommend you to visit Trakošćan castle in the north of Croatia. The castle was built in the 13th century and was extended several times. Today in the castle you can visit the museum.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Luis Gustavo Jacumini Rodrigues ()
Its a beaty castle, i loved castle, i will visite one day.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Belkis Marriaga ()
Hello, I am Belkis I like the Alcazar castle of Segovia Spain.
W odpowiedzi na Belkis Marriaga

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Belkis,
That's certainly an impressive castle.
To me, possibly my favourite in Spain.
And let's remember that Spain has a lot of very important castles, especially in Castilla, Navarra, and in Andalucía.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: JENNY PAOLA MORALES ROA ()
Castillo Marroquín (Chía Cundinamarca) located on the outskirst of Bogotá, it was built in 1898 in an eclectic style that blends Gothic and romantic influences.
W odpowiedzi na JENNY PAOLA MORALES ROA

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Jenny,
Thank you for recommending Castillo Marroquin.
I just looked it up online and it's very imposing!
I love its gothic details. One side reminds me of Inverness, in Scotland.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: rodrigo hurtado ()
I live in Colombia, a good castle to visit is a San Felipe castle situated in Cartagena.
W odpowiedzi na rodrigo hurtado

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Rodrigo,
Nice to meet you.
One of the many great things about this forum is that we all learn something.
And so, for example, in the next few days I learnt that great castles exist in Colombia too.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Gabriela Irene Baños ()
My favorite castle is located in my grandfather's town, in southern Italy, it's called Castel Ducal, and is in Corigiliano Calabro, Cosenza, Italy
W odpowiedzi na Gabriela Irene Baños

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Gabriela Irene,
What a beautiful castle!
I searched for it online and I love its shape.
It's also very old and very well-preserved!
Thank you for recommending it.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Carolina Chaqui Cuenca ()
Hi my name is Carolina, I am from Ecuador

In my country doesn´t castles, but I would like to meet one
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Marco Meneses ()
Hello, I'm from Portugal. We have many castles.My favorite castle is São João Baptista on Terceira island.
W odpowiedzi na Marco Meneses

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Oh that's spectacular, Marco. It's a proper fortress.
Are you from the Azores?
One of the most imposing castle I visited was also in Portugal, in Sintra. Have you been there?
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Paula Ramirez ()
Hi
I live in a small country without castles, but someday I would love to visit the castles of the United Kingdom or London. I love large, beautiful castles and learning about their history.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Mario del Valle Rodriguez Guanaguaney ()
I live in Spain, there are many castles, but I like the Alcázar of Segovia.
W odpowiedzi na Mario del Valle Rodriguez Guanaguaney

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Mario,
What a wonderful place the Alcázar of Segovia is.
Quite possibly the most intriguing castle in Spain... and there are so many to choose from!!!
My favourite is probably a lesser-known one in Almodovar del Rio, in Andalucía.
The views from there are breathtaking.
W odpowiedzi na Claude OLS Community Manager

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Mario del Valle Rodriguez Guanaguaney ()
W odpowiedzi na Mario del Valle Rodriguez Guanaguaney

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Oh yes.
It really is very nice. Look it up online.
It overlooks the town of Almodovar del Rio and, from the top, you can see both Sevilla and Córdoba from a distance, as well as the Guadalquivir river.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: zaritza Moron ()
Helllo, i live in spain, but i haven´t seen any castle. Someday i would like to visit the castle where the Harry Potter movie was made.
W odpowiedzi na zaritza Moron

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Zaritza,
You're in Spain, so you're not too far from any castle. I'm sure you'll visit one soon.
By the way, the Harry Potter castle doesn't exist.
It was filmed using different locations.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Giuliana Metelli ()
Hi. I live in Brescia, in the north of Italy. Brescia has a castle with a beautiful view of the city
W odpowiedzi na Giuliana Metelli

Re: Ri: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Giuliana!
I've seen Brescia castle.
It was many years ago, maybe 20, but it was stunning.
This summer I went to one not far from you, Malcesine.
Have you been there?
The views were spectacular.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Safira Alves Rosa ()
My favourite castle is Windsor Castle in England. It is one of the most famous castles in the country and has a lot of history. I would love to visit it someday because it is beautiful and impressive.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Noa Cardenas Garcia ()
i'm from Columbia and I like the Santuario de las Lajas, this is not a really Castle is a Church. and an Germany where I live, I like, mmmm ! I am no sure because Germany has a very really beautiful castle. one of many mmmm Neuschwanstein. :)
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: GIANLUCA CIRINO ()
I really love castles. Italy has a lot of them. However, in my region, most of them are abandoned or they have become ruins.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: GABRIEL ALBERTO TORRES PALACIOS ()
I'm from Venezuela, my favorite castles is San Carlos de Borromeo Castle: Located in Pampatar, Margarita Island; built 1664–1684. I like to travel.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Daniel Román Carrillo ()
Hi everyone!
I love castles too! My favourite castle is the Alcázar of Segovia. It is in Spain, my country. It is very old and beautiful. It looks like a Disney castle!
I also recommend the Castle of Olite. It is very big and has beautiful towers.
The best castles in Game of Thrones are Almodóvar del Río Castle (Highgarden), Zafra Castle (Tower of Joy), and Santa Florentina Castle (Horn Hill).
Spring is a perfect time to visit Spain and its castles.
What about you?
Do you like Spain?
W odpowiedzi na Daniel Román Carrillo

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()


Hello Daniel,

What a nice comment from you!
It's true, the Alcazar de Segovia looks like a Disney castle, that was exactly what I thought when I first saw a picture.
I haven't been to Olite in Navarra, but everyone tells me that it's exceptionally good.

As for Almodovar del Rio, it is possibly my favourite. I've been there many times and it's amazing that not many people have heard of it. i took the attached photo a few years ago. The views from the top are amazing, aren't they?

You asked me if I love Spain. Yes, I do...I actually live here :-D.
Which part of Spain are you from?

I look forward to your reply.
W odpowiedzi na Claude OLS Community Manager

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Daniel Román Carrillo ()
I live in a small town near Madrid. The name is Arganda del Rey, but my family is from Alcalá de Henares, a very beautiful and historic city. It is famous in the world, and UNESCO protects it. Leonor de Cortinas was from Arganda. She was an intelligent historical woman from an important family and married to a surgeon. Most importantly, she was the mother of Miguel de Cervantes, the famous writer.
I love both places!
W odpowiedzi na Daniel Román Carrillo

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello again Daniel,
I've never heard of Arganda del Rey, but Alcalá de Henares is very famous and very picturesque too!
Spain is full of really nice towns and regions.
Which is your favourite part?
W odpowiedzi na Claude OLS Community Manager

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Daniel Román Carrillo ()
My favorite place is Cabo de Gata. My father was born there!
It is very far from my home, so I don't see my father very often, but I love this place.
It is a very beautiful natural park with beaches and old houses. My favorite spot is the Church of Las Salinas (Iglesia de las Salinas). It is next to the sea.
You need to visit this place! It is amazing. If you can't go, you can see the church and the roads in the music video Cosmic Girl by Jamiroquai.
Do you like it?
W odpowiedzi na Daniel Román Carrillo

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello again Daniel,
I heard of Cabo de Gata because a couple of students told me about it. It's in the Almeria area, am I right?
(I could google it, but I prefer to use my memory, ha ha!).
But, yes, they told me it's a wonderful spot.
I didn't know that Jamiroquai filmed a video there!
Not a fan of Jamiroquai, but I can tell you that around the year 2000 they were very famous in England.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: tales vinicius cavaglieri medeiros ()
I live near Asolo in Italy and there are many castles like this
Załącznik ($a)
W odpowiedzi na tales vinicius cavaglieri medeiros

Re: Ri: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Tales Vinicius,
Thank you for sharing such a nice photo with us!
Yes, Italy has a load of castles.
The most interesting one I saw there is called "Castel del Monte", in the south-east of Italy.
It's a very peculiar building, everything is octagonal (or hexagonal, I can't remember).
Have you been there?
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Orlando Camacho Valencia ()
A few weeks ago I visited the Alcazar of Segovia. This castle is an inspiration for Disney's castles. I liked the architecture, the Juan II Tower lets you see the city in full. This Castle was the favorite house for Kings of Castilla.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: carlos chavez loor ()
I live in Barcelona Spain and my favourite castle is montjuic. and recommend visiting to the church sagrada family.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: JESÚS Pérez Dolz ()
hello, is really beautiful.
I live near the Roman Castle of Sagunto, Valencia.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Maricel Quijada ()
Hi, in my country there are many castles. But the most insteresting is the San Carlos Borromeo castle in the city of Pampatar, Margarita island.
W odpowiedzi na Maricel Quijada

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Claude OLS Community Manager ()
Hello Maricel,
Thanks for your comment.
San Carlos Borromeo seems quite popular, because other learners too mentioned it on this thread.
I didn't realise how old it is until I searched for it online (1622)!
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Damian Padula ()
yes, i have a favorite castle. It is located in Segovia, it look as a disney one.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Orlando Pereira ()
Where I live, we have a castle called San Felipe Castle, a beautiful historic fortress surrounded by lush greenery beside a river.
W odpowiedzi na Pierwszy wpis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Napisane przez: Lilia Esperanza Mancera Martinez ()
Hi, I'm Lilia and I'm from Colombia. I don't know of any famous castles in my country, but there is a park called "Parque Jaime Duque" that has a very beautiful, historic castle inside.