A magical castle in the UK

A magical castle in the UK

回帖数:101
A MAGICAL CASTLE IN THE UK

by Claude, English Community Manager”

Do you love castles?
Then this article is for you, because spring is the perfect season to visit Britain’s most historic sites. In the UK there are around 4,000 castles, but my favourite is in Warwick, in central England.

Warwick Castle was built in 1068, but it’s in great condition. It is surrounded by a network of tall defensive towers.

I first visited it on a sunny day in May with my schoolmates. When we arrived, people welcomed us wearing medieval costumes. The atmosphere was magical. Every room was decorated exactly like in the medieval era. It felt like we’d travelled back in time!

Warwick Castle, England
What about you?
Do you have a favourite castle?
Which castles from your country do you recommend?
Tell us all in the comments section.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

GonçalvesElsa -
We’re a I live a have one little city with a beautiful castle. I don’t remember the year but is very old. '
回复GonçalvesElsa

Re: A magical castle in the UK

NavàsLluis -
I from Catalonia and I live in Lleida there is a beautiful castle his name is Seu Vella
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

MoranCelia -
I love castles. I had the opportunity to know 2. 1 in Ireland, in Malahide. That casle was building in century 11, was the Talbot's family.
The other one was the Palacio de Fontainebleau, in France. Both were fascinanting.
回复MoranCelia

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Celia,
Thank you for commenting.
I've heard of Palacio de Fontainebleau and I looked it up online. It looks enormous!!!
Where are you from?
Are there any castles from your region that you would recommend?
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

SanchisEsther -
Hello, I don't have any favorite castle, but I want to visit some of them.
回复SanchisEsther

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Esther,
Are you from Spain?
If you are from Spain, may I recommend two castles?
There are many, but I'd like to recommend two in particular:
Alcazar de los Reyes, in Córdoba, is my number one.
It's absolutely spectacular, with some dream-like gardens.
Also, there's Alcazar de Segovia, with its unique shape. It's simply stunning.



回复第一帖

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

PistilloRita -
I live in Rome and my favourite castle is Castel Sant' Angelo
回复PistilloRita

Re: Ri: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Rita,
That's amazing!
You live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
I remember visiting Rome in the 1990s and it was so wonderful. There were ancient monuments everywhere, like an open history book in real life.
And yes...I also remember Castel Sant'Angelo, what an imposing castle.
Thanks for your contribution.
See you on this forum again!
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Apablaza UrbinaEsteban -
I live in Spain and here there're many castles around the country. Actually I am a fan of castles around the world, but I don't have a favourite one. In Catalonia when you hiking in the mountains, a castle can appear out of nowhere. It's very interesting to live in a place as Catalonia is.
回复Apablaza UrbinaEsteban

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Esteban,
Very true.
I lived in Catalonia for three years and it's such a varied region with so much history.
There are *serious* mountains, amazing Mediterranean beaches, rugged terrains with amazing rocky formations, pine forests, Montserrat, etc. Oh... and let's not forget Barcelona!
I was in Terrassa.
Have you ever been there?
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

BerrioIgor -
I,m from Spain near of mu city, is Olite and Ujue in Navarra, this places are beautifull, can you visit this castells
回复BerrioIgor

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Igor,
Yes, "Castillo de Olite" is a beauty.
To be honest, Navarra as a whole deserves a good visit.
By the way, is Castillo de Olite now a "Parador"?

PS In Spain some historic buildings have been converted into state-owned hotel known as "paradores".
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

TutavacDanijela -
Hello! I am from Croatia. We have many castles. But I recommend you to visit Trakošćan castle in the north of Croatia. The castle was built in the 13th century and was extended several times. Today in the castle you can visit the museum.
回复TutavacDanijela

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Danijela,
Thanks for your tip!
I just looked up Trakošćan castle online and I must say I am very very impressed. It looks stunning!!!
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

FrançaEstefane -
I live near Óbidos Castle in Portugal. It is a beautiful castle, and several festivals are held there throughout the year.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

MarriagaBelkis -
Hello, I am Belkis I like the Alcazar castle of Segovia Spain.
回复MarriagaBelkis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Belkis,
That's certainly an impressive castle.
To me, possibly my favourite in Spain.
And let's remember that Spain has a lot of very important castles, especially in Castilla, Navarra, and in Andalucía.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

MORALES ROAJENNY PAOLA -
Castillo Marroquín (Chía Cundinamarca) located on the outskirst of Bogotá, it was built in 1898 in an eclectic style that blends Gothic and romantic influences.
回复MORALES ROAJENNY PAOLA

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Jenny,
Thank you for recommending Castillo Marroquin.
I just looked it up online and it's very imposing!
I love its gothic details. One side reminds me of Inverness, in Scotland.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

hurtadorodrigo -
I live in Colombia, a good castle to visit is a San Felipe castle situated in Cartagena.
回复hurtadorodrigo

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Rodrigo,
Nice to meet you.
One of the many great things about this forum is that we all learn something.
And so, for example, in the next few days I learnt that great castles exist in Colombia too.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

BañosGabriela Irene -
My favorite castle is located in my grandfather's town, in southern Italy, it's called Castel Ducal, and is in Corigiliano Calabro, Cosenza, Italy
回复BañosGabriela Irene

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Gabriela Irene,
What a beautiful castle!
I searched for it online and I love its shape.
It's also very old and very well-preserved!
Thank you for recommending it.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

MenesesMarco -
Hello, I'm from Portugal. We have many castles.My favorite castle is São João Baptista on Terceira island.
回复MenesesMarco

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Oh that's spectacular, Marco. It's a proper fortress.
Are you from the Azores?
One of the most imposing castle I visited was also in Portugal, in Sintra. Have you been there?
回复OLS Community ManagerClaude

Re: A magical castle in the UK

MenesesMarco -
Yes i am. I am from terceira island and I have never visited the castle in Sintra.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

RamirezPaula -
Hi
I live in a small country without castles, but someday I would love to visit the castles of the United Kingdom or London. I love large, beautiful castles and learning about their history.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Rodriguez GuanaguaneyMario del Valle -
I live in Spain, there are many castles, but I like the Alcázar of Segovia.
回复Rodriguez GuanaguaneyMario del Valle

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Mario,
What a wonderful place the Alcázar of Segovia is.
Quite possibly the most intriguing castle in Spain... and there are so many to choose from!!!
My favourite is probably a lesser-known one in Almodovar del Rio, in Andalucía.
The views from there are breathtaking.
回复OLS Community ManagerClaude

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Rodriguez GuanaguaneyMario del Valle -
I would like to go visit it.
回复Rodriguez GuanaguaneyMario del Valle

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Oh yes.
It really is very nice. Look it up online.
It overlooks the town of Almodovar del Rio and, from the top, you can see both Sevilla and Córdoba from a distance, as well as the Guadalquivir river.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Moronzaritza -
Helllo, i live in spain, but i haven´t seen any castle. Someday i would like to visit the castle where the Harry Potter movie was made.
回复Moronzaritza

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Zaritza,
You're in Spain, so you're not too far from any castle. I'm sure you'll visit one soon.
By the way, the Harry Potter castle doesn't exist.
It was filmed using different locations.
回复第一帖

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

MetelliGiuliana -
Hi. I live in Brescia, in the north of Italy. Brescia has a castle with a beautiful view of the city
回复MetelliGiuliana

Re: Ri: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Giuliana!
I've seen Brescia castle.
It was many years ago, maybe 20, but it was stunning.
This summer I went to one not far from you, Malcesine.
Have you been there?
The views were spectacular.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Alves RosaSafira -
My favourite castle is Windsor Castle in England. It is one of the most famous castles in the country and has a lot of history. I would love to visit it someday because it is beautiful and impressive.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Cardenas GarciaNoa -
i'm from Columbia and I like the Santuario de las Lajas, this is not a really Castle is a Church. and an Germany where I live, I like, mmmm ! I am no sure because Germany has a very really beautiful castle. one of many mmmm Neuschwanstein. :)
回复第一帖

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

CIRINOGIANLUCA -
I really love castles. Italy has a lot of them. However, in my region, most of them are abandoned or they have become ruins.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

TORRES PALACIOSGABRIEL ALBERTO -
I'm from Venezuela, my favorite castles is San Carlos de Borromeo Castle: Located in Pampatar, Margarita Island; built 1664–1684. I like to travel.
回复TORRES PALACIOSGABRIEL ALBERTO

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hi Gabriel Alberto,
Yes, San Carlo de Borromeo looks amazing (on the internet...I haven't been there!).
Have you been there?
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Román CarrilloDaniel -
Hi everyone!
I love castles too! My favourite castle is the Alcázar of Segovia. It is in Spain, my country. It is very old and beautiful. It looks like a Disney castle!
I also recommend the Castle of Olite. It is very big and has beautiful towers.
The best castles in Game of Thrones are Almodóvar del Río Castle (Highgarden), Zafra Castle (Tower of Joy), and Santa Florentina Castle (Horn Hill).
Spring is a perfect time to visit Spain and its castles.
What about you?
Do you like Spain?
回复Román CarrilloDaniel

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -


Hello Daniel,

What a nice comment from you!
It's true, the Alcazar de Segovia looks like a Disney castle, that was exactly what I thought when I first saw a picture.
I haven't been to Olite in Navarra, but everyone tells me that it's exceptionally good.

As for Almodovar del Rio, it is possibly my favourite. I've been there many times and it's amazing that not many people have heard of it. i took the attached photo a few years ago. The views from the top are amazing, aren't they?

You asked me if I love Spain. Yes, I do...I actually live here :-D.
Which part of Spain are you from?

I look forward to your reply.
回复OLS Community ManagerClaude

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Román CarrilloDaniel -
I live in a small town near Madrid. The name is Arganda del Rey, but my family is from Alcalá de Henares, a very beautiful and historic city. It is famous in the world, and UNESCO protects it. Leonor de Cortinas was from Arganda. She was an intelligent historical woman from an important family and married to a surgeon. Most importantly, she was the mother of Miguel de Cervantes, the famous writer.
I love both places!
回复Román CarrilloDaniel

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello again Daniel,
I've never heard of Arganda del Rey, but Alcalá de Henares is very famous and very picturesque too!
Spain is full of really nice towns and regions.
Which is your favourite part?
回复OLS Community ManagerClaude

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Román CarrilloDaniel -
My favorite place is Cabo de Gata. My father was born there!
It is very far from my home, so I don't see my father very often, but I love this place.
It is a very beautiful natural park with beaches and old houses. My favorite spot is the Church of Las Salinas (Iglesia de las Salinas). It is next to the sea.
You need to visit this place! It is amazing. If you can't go, you can see the church and the roads in the music video Cosmic Girl by Jamiroquai.
Do you like it?
回复Román CarrilloDaniel

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello again Daniel,
I heard of Cabo de Gata because a couple of students told me about it. It's in the Almeria area, am I right?
(I could google it, but I prefer to use my memory, ha ha!).
But, yes, they told me it's a wonderful spot.
I didn't know that Jamiroquai filmed a video there!
Not a fan of Jamiroquai, but I can tell you that around the year 2000 they were very famous in England.
回复第一帖

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

cavaglieri medeirostales vinicius -
I live near Asolo in Italy and there are many castles like this
附件 httpsupload.wikimedia.orgwikipediacommonsthumb77bRocca_di_Asolo.jpg330px-Rocca_di_Asolo.jpg?utm_source=it.wikipedia.orgutm_campaign=indexutm_content=thumbnail
回复cavaglieri medeirostales vinicius

Re: Ri: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Tales Vinicius,
Thank you for sharing such a nice photo with us!
Yes, Italy has a load of castles.
The most interesting one I saw there is called "Castel del Monte", in the south-east of Italy.
It's a very peculiar building, everything is octagonal (or hexagonal, I can't remember).
Have you been there?
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Camacho ValenciaOrlando -
A few weeks ago I visited the Alcazar of Segovia. This castle is an inspiration for Disney's castles. I liked the architecture, the Juan II Tower lets you see the city in full. This Castle was the favorite house for Kings of Castilla.
回复Camacho ValenciaOrlando

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Orlando,
You're a lucky man!
As you can see from this thread, many people appreciate the Alcazar de Segovia. Beautiful castle.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

QuijadaMaricel -
Hi, in my country there are many castles. But the most insteresting is the San Carlos Borromeo castle in the city of Pampatar, Margarita island.
回复QuijadaMaricel

Re: A magical castle in the UK

OLS Community ManagerClaude -
Hello Maricel,
Thanks for your comment.
San Carlos Borromeo seems quite popular, because other learners too mentioned it on this thread.
I didn't realise how old it is until I searched for it online (1622)!
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

PereiraOrlando -
Where I live, we have a castle called San Felipe Castle, a beautiful historic fortress surrounded by lush greenery beside a river.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

Mancera MartinezLilia Esperanza -
Hi, I'm Lilia and I'm from Colombia. I don't know of any famous castles in my country, but there is a park called "Parque Jaime Duque" that has a very beautiful, historic castle inside.
回复第一帖

Re: A magical castle in the UK

StefaniaBusan -
In my country we have the "Corvin Castle", its really beautiful, Im from Romania and Im proud of it !