A magical castle in the UK

A magical castle in the UK

Number of replies: 101
A MAGICAL CASTLE IN THE UK

by Claude, English Community Manager”

Do you love castles?
Then this article is for you, because spring is the perfect season to visit Britain’s most historic sites. In the UK there are around 4,000 castles, but my favourite is in Warwick, in central England.

Warwick Castle was built in 1068, but it’s in great condition. It is surrounded by a network of tall defensive towers.

I first visited it on a sunny day in May with my schoolmates. When we arrived, people welcomed us wearing medieval costumes. The atmosphere was magical. Every room was decorated exactly like in the medieval era. It felt like we’d travelled back in time!

Warwick Castle, England
What about you?
Do you have a favourite castle?
Which castles from your country do you recommend?
Tell us all in the comments section.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Gonçalves Elsa發表於
We’re a I live a have one little city with a beautiful castle. I don’t remember the year but is very old. '
In reply to Gonçalves Elsa

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Navàs Lluis發表於
I from Catalonia and I live in Lleida there is a beautiful castle his name is Seu Vella
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Gallo Garcia Camilo發表於
I lived in a city in portugal, it's name is guimaraes, this city is very beutifull and have a big castel with several tower
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Moran Celia發表於
I love castles. I had the opportunity to know 2. 1 in Ireland, in Malahide. That casle was building in century 11, was the Talbot's family.
The other one was the Palacio de Fontainebleau, in France. Both were fascinanting.
In reply to Moran Celia

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Celia,
Thank you for commenting.
I've heard of Palacio de Fontainebleau and I looked it up online. It looks enormous!!!
Where are you from?
Are there any castles from your region that you would recommend?
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Sanchis Esther發表於
Hello, I don't have any favorite castle, but I want to visit some of them.
In reply to First post

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

由Pistillo Rita發表於
I live in Rome and my favourite castle is Castel Sant' Angelo
In reply to Pistillo Rita

Re: Ri: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Rita,
That's amazing!
You live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
I remember visiting Rome in the 1990s and it was so wonderful. There were ancient monuments everywhere, like an open history book in real life.
And yes...I also remember Castel Sant'Angelo, what an imposing castle.
Thanks for your contribution.
See you on this forum again!
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Apablaza Urbina Esteban發表於
I live in Spain and here there're many castles around the country. Actually I am a fan of castles around the world, but I don't have a favourite one. In Catalonia when you hiking in the mountains, a castle can appear out of nowhere. It's very interesting to live in a place as Catalonia is.
In reply to Apablaza Urbina Esteban

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Esteban,
Very true.
I lived in Catalonia for three years and it's such a varied region with so much history.
There are *serious* mountains, amazing Mediterranean beaches, rugged terrains with amazing rocky formations, pine forests, Montserrat, etc. Oh... and let's not forget Barcelona!
I was in Terrassa.
Have you ever been there?
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Berrio Igor發表於
I,m from Spain near of mu city, is Olite and Ujue in Navarra, this places are beautifull, can you visit this castells
In reply to Berrio Igor

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Igor,
Yes, "Castillo de Olite" is a beauty.
To be honest, Navarra as a whole deserves a good visit.
By the way, is Castillo de Olite now a "Parador"?

PS In Spain some historic buildings have been converted into state-owned hotel known as "paradores".
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Tutavac Danijela發表於
Hello! I am from Croatia. We have many castles. But I recommend you to visit Trakošćan castle in the north of Croatia. The castle was built in the 13th century and was extended several times. Today in the castle you can visit the museum.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由França Estefane發表於
I live near Óbidos Castle in Portugal. It is a beautiful castle, and several festivals are held there throughout the year.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Marriaga Belkis發表於
Hello, I am Belkis I like the Alcazar castle of Segovia Spain.
In reply to Marriaga Belkis

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Belkis,
That's certainly an impressive castle.
To me, possibly my favourite in Spain.
And let's remember that Spain has a lot of very important castles, especially in Castilla, Navarra, and in Andalucía.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由MORALES ROA JENNY PAOLA發表於
Castillo Marroquín (Chía Cundinamarca) located on the outskirst of Bogotá, it was built in 1898 in an eclectic style that blends Gothic and romantic influences.
In reply to MORALES ROA JENNY PAOLA

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Jenny,
Thank you for recommending Castillo Marroquin.
I just looked it up online and it's very imposing!
I love its gothic details. One side reminds me of Inverness, in Scotland.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由hurtado rodrigo發表於
I live in Colombia, a good castle to visit is a San Felipe castle situated in Cartagena.
In reply to hurtado rodrigo

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Rodrigo,
Nice to meet you.
One of the many great things about this forum is that we all learn something.
And so, for example, in the next few days I learnt that great castles exist in Colombia too.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Baños Gabriela Irene發表於
My favorite castle is located in my grandfather's town, in southern Italy, it's called Castel Ducal, and is in Corigiliano Calabro, Cosenza, Italy
In reply to Baños Gabriela Irene

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Gabriela Irene,
What a beautiful castle!
I searched for it online and I love its shape.
It's also very old and very well-preserved!
Thank you for recommending it.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Chaqui Cuenca Carolina發表於
Hi my name is Carolina, I am from Ecuador

In my country doesn´t castles, but I would like to meet one
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Meneses Marco發表於
Hello, I'm from Portugal. We have many castles.My favorite castle is São João Baptista on Terceira island.
In reply to Meneses Marco

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Oh that's spectacular, Marco. It's a proper fortress.
Are you from the Azores?
One of the most imposing castle I visited was also in Portugal, in Sintra. Have you been there?
In reply to OLS Community Manager Claude

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Meneses Marco發表於
Yes i am. I am from terceira island and I have never visited the castle in Sintra.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Ramirez Paula發表於
Hi
I live in a small country without castles, but someday I would love to visit the castles of the United Kingdom or London. I love large, beautiful castles and learning about their history.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Rodriguez Guanaguaney Mario del Valle發表於
I live in Spain, there are many castles, but I like the Alcázar of Segovia.
In reply to Rodriguez Guanaguaney Mario del Valle

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Mario,
What a wonderful place the Alcázar of Segovia is.
Quite possibly the most intriguing castle in Spain... and there are so many to choose from!!!
My favourite is probably a lesser-known one in Almodovar del Rio, in Andalucía.
The views from there are breathtaking.
In reply to OLS Community Manager Claude

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Rodriguez Guanaguaney Mario del Valle發表於
I would like to go visit it.
In reply to Rodriguez Guanaguaney Mario del Valle

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Oh yes.
It really is very nice. Look it up online.
It overlooks the town of Almodovar del Rio and, from the top, you can see both Sevilla and Córdoba from a distance, as well as the Guadalquivir river.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Moron zaritza發表於
Helllo, i live in spain, but i haven´t seen any castle. Someday i would like to visit the castle where the Harry Potter movie was made.
In reply to Moron zaritza

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Zaritza,
You're in Spain, so you're not too far from any castle. I'm sure you'll visit one soon.
By the way, the Harry Potter castle doesn't exist.
It was filmed using different locations.
In reply to First post

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

由Metelli Giuliana發表於
Hi. I live in Brescia, in the north of Italy. Brescia has a castle with a beautiful view of the city
In reply to Metelli Giuliana

Re: Ri: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Giuliana!
I've seen Brescia castle.
It was many years ago, maybe 20, but it was stunning.
This summer I went to one not far from you, Malcesine.
Have you been there?
The views were spectacular.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Alves Rosa Safira發表於
My favourite castle is Windsor Castle in England. It is one of the most famous castles in the country and has a lot of history. I would love to visit it someday because it is beautiful and impressive.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Cardenas Garcia Noa發表於
i'm from Columbia and I like the Santuario de las Lajas, this is not a really Castle is a Church. and an Germany where I live, I like, mmmm ! I am no sure because Germany has a very really beautiful castle. one of many mmmm Neuschwanstein. :)
In reply to First post

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

由CIRINO GIANLUCA發表於
I really love castles. Italy has a lot of them. However, in my region, most of them are abandoned or they have become ruins.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由TORRES PALACIOS GABRIEL ALBERTO發表於
I'm from Venezuela, my favorite castles is San Carlos de Borromeo Castle: Located in Pampatar, Margarita Island; built 1664–1684. I like to travel.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Román Carrillo Daniel發表於
Hi everyone!
I love castles too! My favourite castle is the Alcázar of Segovia. It is in Spain, my country. It is very old and beautiful. It looks like a Disney castle!
I also recommend the Castle of Olite. It is very big and has beautiful towers.
The best castles in Game of Thrones are Almodóvar del Río Castle (Highgarden), Zafra Castle (Tower of Joy), and Santa Florentina Castle (Horn Hill).
Spring is a perfect time to visit Spain and its castles.
What about you?
Do you like Spain?
In reply to Román Carrillo Daniel

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於


Hello Daniel,

What a nice comment from you!
It's true, the Alcazar de Segovia looks like a Disney castle, that was exactly what I thought when I first saw a picture.
I haven't been to Olite in Navarra, but everyone tells me that it's exceptionally good.

As for Almodovar del Rio, it is possibly my favourite. I've been there many times and it's amazing that not many people have heard of it. i took the attached photo a few years ago. The views from the top are amazing, aren't they?

You asked me if I love Spain. Yes, I do...I actually live here :-D.
Which part of Spain are you from?

I look forward to your reply.
In reply to OLS Community Manager Claude

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Román Carrillo Daniel發表於
I live in a small town near Madrid. The name is Arganda del Rey, but my family is from Alcalá de Henares, a very beautiful and historic city. It is famous in the world, and UNESCO protects it. Leonor de Cortinas was from Arganda. She was an intelligent historical woman from an important family and married to a surgeon. Most importantly, she was the mother of Miguel de Cervantes, the famous writer.
I love both places!
In reply to Román Carrillo Daniel

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello again Daniel,
I've never heard of Arganda del Rey, but Alcalá de Henares is very famous and very picturesque too!
Spain is full of really nice towns and regions.
Which is your favourite part?
In reply to OLS Community Manager Claude

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Román Carrillo Daniel發表於
My favorite place is Cabo de Gata. My father was born there!
It is very far from my home, so I don't see my father very often, but I love this place.
It is a very beautiful natural park with beaches and old houses. My favorite spot is the Church of Las Salinas (Iglesia de las Salinas). It is next to the sea.
You need to visit this place! It is amazing. If you can't go, you can see the church and the roads in the music video Cosmic Girl by Jamiroquai.
Do you like it?
In reply to Román Carrillo Daniel

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello again Daniel,
I heard of Cabo de Gata because a couple of students told me about it. It's in the Almeria area, am I right?
(I could google it, but I prefer to use my memory, ha ha!).
But, yes, they told me it's a wonderful spot.
I didn't know that Jamiroquai filmed a video there!
Not a fan of Jamiroquai, but I can tell you that around the year 2000 they were very famous in England.
In reply to First post

Ri: A magical castle in the UK

由cavaglieri medeiros tales vinicius發表於
I live near Asolo in Italy and there are many castles like this
附件 httpsupload.wikimedia.orgwikipediacommonsthumb77bRocca_di_Asolo.jpg330px-Rocca_di_Asolo.jpg?utm_source=it.wikipedia.orgutm_campaign=indexutm_content=thumbnail
In reply to cavaglieri medeiros tales vinicius

Re: Ri: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Tales Vinicius,
Thank you for sharing such a nice photo with us!
Yes, Italy has a load of castles.
The most interesting one I saw there is called "Castel del Monte", in the south-east of Italy.
It's a very peculiar building, everything is octagonal (or hexagonal, I can't remember).
Have you been there?
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Camacho Valencia Orlando發表於
A few weeks ago I visited the Alcazar of Segovia. This castle is an inspiration for Disney's castles. I liked the architecture, the Juan II Tower lets you see the city in full. This Castle was the favorite house for Kings of Castilla.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由chavez loor carlos發表於
I live in Barcelona Spain and my favourite castle is montjuic. and recommend visiting to the church sagrada family.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Pérez Dolz JESÚS發表於
hello, is really beautiful.
I live near the Roman Castle of Sagunto, Valencia.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Quijada Maricel發表於
Hi, in my country there are many castles. But the most insteresting is the San Carlos Borromeo castle in the city of Pampatar, Margarita island.
In reply to Quijada Maricel

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由OLS Community Manager Claude發表於
Hello Maricel,
Thanks for your comment.
San Carlos Borromeo seems quite popular, because other learners too mentioned it on this thread.
I didn't realise how old it is until I searched for it online (1622)!
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Pereira Orlando發表於
Where I live, we have a castle called San Felipe Castle, a beautiful historic fortress surrounded by lush greenery beside a river.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Mancera Martinez Lilia Esperanza發表於
Hi, I'm Lilia and I'm from Colombia. I don't know of any famous castles in my country, but there is a park called "Parque Jaime Duque" that has a very beautiful, historic castle inside.
In reply to First post

Re: A magical castle in the UK

由Stefania Busan發表於
In my country we have the "Corvin Castle", its really beautiful, Im from Romania and Im proud of it !